Friday, July 20, 2012

Not a Word


We all know that talking can get you into trouble on dates. Whether you drop a bomb about your baggage, manage to insult their mother, or just get flustered, it's easy to say the wrong thing. That's why we had to share a story from a reader about someone ruining things by keeping mum. Hope you enjoy this story as much as I did! Thanks for the contribution, sweetheart!


HAPPY DATING!!

So, recently I have decided to get out of my two year long dating funk by taking a "Yes Man" approach to dating.  I say yes to pretty much any guy who asks me out within reason (okay, so I'm not so good at the 'yes to everything rule.'). Still, I have been out on more dates this year than the last two combined and there have been some pretty awesome ones in the mix.  But who really wants to hear about the good dates? It is all about the awkward, the weird, the dramatic. So here is a weird one for all of you.

It is a second date scenario - second dates are my downfall, I swear. This one had promise though, the guy (we'll call him Dean) and I had a great first date and kept up with each other consistently with calls and texts. He lives a little ways from me, so the second date was about two weeks after the first.  I was set to have a great time. We were going to see "Prometheus" at midnight (I'm a sci-fi/comic book/fantasy geek so it is right up my alley), and I was under the impression that we were doing a double date with a friend of his. Nope. I meet up at the theater with him and I'm happy to see that he's waiting outside with tickets and my favorite drink, only to tell me that his friend is third wheeling. I was less than excited, but I like making friends and luckily got on well with the new guy immediately. 

Now, here's where it gets weird.

Dean turns out to be a total movie buff - something that would be awesome if he were not also the type who likes to 'immerse himself completely.' He was totally pretentious about the entire movie experience, already critiquing the previews of Prometheus before we got in.  Which, as someone who dedicates most of her study to analyzing the form and construct of comics, was interesting but the second we hit the theater door he completely clammed up. Honestly, he would not even try to hold a conversation with me and we had an hour until previews started. He told me that he had to get into the right mindset and that he could not talk. I nodded politely and munched on my popcorn, which earned a sympathetic look from the friend who, helpfully, tried to start up talk with us, only to get shushed.  The entire time I was thinking, "Seriously, dude? You are not the one flying into space to find your creator, you'll be fine if you hold a conversation with me."  The date ended and he did not even walk me to the car or give me a kiss goodnight.  The only good thing about the night was his friend who was actually polite and interesting. Go figure.

And the real kicker? A few days ago he asked me to Spiderman and I really can't bring myself to go even with my loosely followed 'yes' rule telling me I should.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

You should ask him for his friend's number!

Shiny Rod said...

Sounds like a date with the chick on youtube who was obsessing over the New Moon Trailer. Next time, just grab his johnson, you get a guy's attention real quick when you have his um tool in hand... lol

jonson_beb said...

it sounds like you are dating unwillingly, but if u date with his friend there is more chance of long lasting relation

gifts said...

Unfortunately this guy that you are dating has a fanaticism with the movie and not you. You need someone who can communicate and I can see that he is going to be a selfish person in the near future and it could not work out. So consider his friend who empathize with what you are experiencing and who may prove to be more interesting company than this self absorb guy that your were dating.

filipina4friends said...

Try to ask the email address of his friend.

Steve said...

Wow. Sounds like he has some kind of aspergers syndrom or OCD. Experiences like this are what makes life interesting though!

chris said...

Ha ha! It looks like you would have a better time with his friend. So maybe the date was a complete waste of time...

Go with him again and see if you can hook up with his friend.

Anonymous said...

Ok, that is hilarious! I went on a date to a midnight premier with an old high school friend and he did the same thing! Didn't speak a WORD the entire time we were in the theater! Totally freaked me out because i like to comment on stuff, compare the movie to the book and so forth...no comment no reaction, nothing. Weird.

YouMeetMe said...

I would like to ask you - Why didn't you try his friend, who you said was very polite and interesting?

Anamika said...

Hahaha! This is funny! Well, I'm glad there was a third wheel ( could not believe I'm saying this! LoL). Now imagine if the friend was not there..your date would be a bummer. :p

Alex said...

First of all, what you described is probably the worst case scenario that can come out of the "Yes Man" approach (I love that movie, maybe I'll try it with girls and blog it). Just something your expecting to go good turns out to unfold in a completely different way, but you had no idea, you were just saying YES(: Be careful with saying yes to everything; you might accidentally end up with a guy from the zombie apocalypse! Anyways if you want to see how guys nowadays are hardwired so you can kind of know what to expect when saying yes to some guys date requests, then check out my blog it would really help me out. I guess your obligated to say yes to that haha

OnlineDatingGirl said...

Gotta love awkward dating stories! If I were you, I'd get the friend's number.

soulFuse said...

Clearly he does like going to the movies by himself. Now you know what to ask before you go on a date with someone else ...do you talk during movies?

Amanda said...

I love your stories!!! lol