Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Call That Never Comes

We've all been there. Somebody says they'll call you. They may give a specific time, or just a range of time in which to expect this call.
This call could be from anybody. It could be a boy or girl you like, it could be your heterosexual life partner, it could be person you're waiting to interview. All of these are hard to wait for, but those ones when it's a person you'd like to date, or fuck, or whatever, seem to be the hardest.
So you wait. You may keep your phone glued to your hand, afraid that leaving it for one minute could result in "1 missed call" written across your cell screen.
It's nice if you're busy and you don't have to think about the call that is not coming.
It's harder when you're not as busy and you sit there and wait. The seconds tick by. They turn in to minutes, then hours.
Sometimes the call comes. You think to yourself, "Why was I even wasting time wondering if my phone would ever ring?"
Sometimes the phone never rings. A million things might run through your head.
"Why didn't they call?"
"Is something wrong and they couldn't call me? Should I be worried?"
"Did they do this on purpose?"
"Do they know that I am waiting?!?!?!"
It never matters. We'll never know the real reasons that people choose not to call back.
It's probably not because you asked them on a date to drink water.
It's more likely that this is just a part of life. People forget to return calls.
Maybe they just forgot.
Maybe they didn't feel like talking on the phone last night.
We've all been there.

5 comments:

c.vance said...

actually, i think you're wrong.

it could very well have been the water thing...

if it is in the lovejoy context of dating that this weirdness is dedicated to (not friends or family who know us well enough to know we are not worth calling) then it is - more likely - because they did not call because they do not like you; you are unattractive to them.

if there is ANY - even the most remote - interest, people call other people... people are lonely and, i'm not sure why but---, they think other people can alleviate them of their aloneliness. my phone is filled with numbers attatched to names i no longer know because i once knew they could save me from loneliness for a night or three.

but it's not a bad thing to be unattractive to someone--- we all become unattractive to others when they find those unattractive things about it; this way just saved time.

unattractive is not the worst sin; being forgettable is--- and the way this post ends, as an almost consoling, "it's okay, you're just forgettable and boring..." or, maybe even worse yet, "you weren't worth the effort of dialing seven numbers..." that is atrocious.

let us hope it was the water.

Serial Monogamist said...

Being forgettable is the worst sin? Not farting in someone's face? Or smelling suuuuper bad downstairs? Or lying about being single?

c.vance said...

those are things that make someone unattractive later--- at least you can be attracted to them initially until such things are discovered; they had the oppurtunity to prove themselves one way or another. being forgettable? that is the worst sin--- there is no way to prove yourself in either direction at that point.

c.vance said...

you know The Blow?
good group--- kinda just a chick but there a fella who makes some of the beats. out of PDX, or Olympia originally but now live in PDX--- anyway. this is a song of theirs called HEY BOY; names have not been changed for the situation, these are the actual lyrics and it is much better with the music, recommend you finding it...


Hey Boy
Why you didn't call me?
I waited for days
I can't believe you didn't call

Hey Boy
Why you didn't call me?
I waited for days
I can't believe you didn't call

A. You're gay
B. You've got a girlfriend
C. You kinda thought I came on too strong or
D. I just wasn't your thing:
no ring

Hey Boy
Why you didn't call me?
I waited for days
I can't believe you didn't call

When we sat outside for an hour at the party and talked
I thought something good could be starting
It's not a lot that I want
just some talking
and really, you just injured my pride

Hey Boy
Why you didn't call me?
I waited for days
I can't believe you didn't call

Susan said that maybe you're scared
Shelly says there always is a reason
and Chris said you're probably surrounded by girls and I'm just not one of them you're needing

Serial Monogamist said...

Still not convinced.

I think maybe being forgettable is better than being an insufferably boring windbag, even if you're remembered as such.

Not that it matters what I think about such things ...