Monday, August 4, 2008

perhaps a dating chronology would be interesting...

1. freshman year in high school i had my first girlfriend. we rode the bus together. she was a sophomore and my dad warned me about those "older women" when i told him about her (my mother is one year older than him, they met in high school). her and i made out in the baseball dugout one night when we were supposed to be attending the friday night football game. when she would call me after school she would chase her younger siblings into their bedrooms so she could quietly exhale I love you...s into the phone. it lasted for three weeks. i didn't know it was over until week four when she was making out with someone else on the bus but, apparently, she left me a message about it.
two years ago i ran into her while her kid and i were looking at the same video game in the electronics section of Fred Meyer. she didn't recognize me.
2. sophomore year in high school i dated a young lady who had an ambiance of slutdom about her. we met in the eighth grade--- she sat next to me in art class the entire year and once touched my hand when she told me how great a drawing was... but she didn't remember this. we only started talking those three years later because she needed to copy SOMEONE's homework in science class. we talked about the future: getting our driver's licenses and leaving town for weekends. every date was at the theater seeing movies we didn't want to see to make-out thru... TO WONG-FU, THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, JULIE... something.... that was one movie we went to. people moved from sitting around us as our slurping on each other was louder than the speakers. my parents picked us up from the theater one night and drove her home while we did the same thing in the back seat. my sister was sitting back there, staring open eyed--- five years younger. afterward, my dad didn't know if he should have congratulated me or taught me about tact; he never taught me about tact. it lasted three months. mostly it consisted of love letters handed off between classes. at christmas i bought her a teddy bear and a silver ring of two intertwined dolphins and she came over somewhen in that break. i felt her ass and fingered her cleavage as tho it were something more erotic--- then wrote her a three page letter of apology for being so crass. somewhere in there i panicked and stopped returning her crying calls (it established my precedent of break-ups which, really, seemed to be taught to me from the previous one).
didn't see her much thru the rest of high school and no time thereafter. somehow i found her e-mail around '01 and sent her a line. we talked for a bit about how she was engaged and living in NY... then she asked to read some of my poetry so i sent her some of my Bukowski wanna-be sex poems when drunk one night. seems i hit "REPLY ALL" to a bulletin of hers and the poems went out to her entire family, her co-workers and her employer. never heard from her again.
3. junior year was busy... i was expelled and all of the good girls who wanted to piss off their parents wanted to take me out for at least a night or two. the few that stand out:
a. girl picked me up and took me out to a movie--- the daughter of friends of my parents. it was our third date. we sat in the back and before the credits started her parents came in to the same movie. we still made out thru the flick as they turned around from time to time to watch. she wasn't allowed to see me again after that.
b. another girl picked me up to take me out to a movie (i was a mooch, didn't get a license or a car until the end of the year) and she hit a car when she pulled into a Mountain View Mall parking spot. her parents owned a restaurant downtown and we ate well and often. i made my best friend drive me to her house one night and i climbed into her window and made out with her while he waited in the car. a couple days later we were grinding against each other and i had my first ejaculation ever at 16. she gave me a coat to tie around my waist as we walked into town.
c. movie theaters were replaced by parking out off tumalo reservoir road (where the was never any water--- just a sea of sagebrush. to this day, i still don't know why it has that name) when i got my license and another girl who rode the same bus with me--- this time a year younger ---went out there a few times with me. the last time she let me see her entire body and play with parts of it.
4. that summer i went to art camp up on OSU campus. stayed in the dorms and fell in love with a girl who was also in the camp. i would sneak out of my dorm and stay in hers. a lot of girls would do the same thing and i would often be the only male in a room of seven or eight girls. while professing love for this girl, another gave me a handjob as i slept between the two of them. when camp was over i would drive to McMinnville daily to see her thru the summer. three hour drive there, two hours to see her, three hours back. once she kissed me but only once.
5. senior year of high school i dated the french exchange student. i bought a 280 SE Mercedes Benz over the summer with mural painting money and felt manly enough to be dating the french exchange student. we went to homecoming together and i lost my virginity in the back of that car that night. it was before i had discovered masturbation and it was a very sorry performance. even for 17, even for the first time... premature ejaculation is too long of a phrase for such a thing. prema--- would be a better description. i was embarrassed; it was only the second time i had ever come... stopped talking to her after that night but didn't have to avoid her for too long since she was kicked off her exchange for cocaine abuse.
next year a friend of hers told me that she got pregnant that night; the kid was sucked out of her in a Marseille clinic with a sea view.
6. my parents took me to Disney World for a week in February of my senior year. first night there i met a 23 y/o romanian woman who was the nanny for a well-to-do family. we made out in the Epcot Center and i had her disrobed in the bushes around park rides... nightly, when her babysitting chores were done, we would fool around. one night she took me back to that large room while her employers were at a show and she violated me in a beautiful way. it is still my fondest one-week relationship.
6. in spring of that same year i dated a 25 y/o deli worker at Safeway. she thought i looked like Leonardo Di Caprio from Titanic and wanted me to sketch her nude one night; so i did. that was the beginning of our month together for the three days a week her daughter was at the father's house. it was my first blowjob. it was my first time feeling proficient at sex because it was with a stretched out mother--- and i would test that proficiency at least once a week while skipping math class. a friend of mine, slightly older, went to a party somewhere some night when i was elsewhere. he watched her fuck another woman and i stopped talking to her... out of jealousy, probably, of not being there to watch.
six years later i saw her at Papa's Pizza when i was working. talked to her for a bit in the playground area and said hello to her daughter... asked if she was babysitting because there were two younger boys i had not seen. she said, Uhm... there's someone you should meet... and introduced me to the older of the two--- five-plus ---who was such a good artist and the brightest kid in his class and looks just like my uncle and me when we were that age.
7. after learning the value of one-night-stands thru the summer, i went to college. lived in the dorms. tried dating my first not-so-attractive woman. her sister performed in live sex shows and she was about as interesting in private--- but i couldn't stand being seen with a not-so-attractive person so i ended it in the no contact way which, really, is hard to do when you live on the same floor in the dorms.

8. that girl above? what number was she... number 4? the one i fell in love with in art camp? she was going to school down at U of O and was lonely for about a month... depression at a new school and all. so she invited me to drive down the 45-plus minutes every day after school to stay with her for the night and leave after we had coffee and cigarettes in the morning. she was still the only woman i had ever loved and i was blissfully happy... singing MARY POPPINS songs while balancing on curbs instead of sidewalks... i sang everywhere i went. i was pleasant. you wouldn't have even recognized me. then, randomly, one night she said, Sleep on the floor and never call me again. a perfect quote. you don't forget a sentence like that when you were just singing a MARY POPPINS song in the rain ten minutes before.
six months later she would let me finger her in my car while driving to McMinnville repeatedly to see her again.
two years after that she would let me kiss her after a bad break up.
five years later, after an especially bad break-up of hers, she would invite me to live on a herb farming plantation with her and be with her again... three days later she changed her mind.
9. same year i dated an Ecuadorian Catholic who didn't speak much english and we agreed only to talk in my broken spanish--- all our te amo talk for two months until i told her i once made out with a guy. she used the no contact method, too. good to know it is universal.
10. end of the year in the dorms i met a girl who had just turned 21 and was from Virginia... educating herself on her fiance's dime. i lived with her in her one-bedroom apartment as she asked her man for more and more money to take care of us both, saying she took in a homeless artist. she would let me finger her but she wouldn't touch me or let me touch myself. the neighbor kid sometimes watched thru the window as we watched him in the reflection of the unlit television. when she would climax, she would shove me off of her and say, I'm a taken lady! and run into the bathroom. when he came to visit, she said it would look weird if i didn't stay with her... so i stayed in the same one-bedroom apartment and she used it as an excuse not to sleep with him, either. our last night together i tried to say, I love your pussy while fingering her but only got out I love-- before she freaked out, shoved me off of her and locked herself in the bathroom crying.
she came to visit me with her newest husband last year. i gave her a fishnet dress and wished him luck.
11. that summer i went to europe and came back poor. living in a house with three other guys who were not there--- i was in charge of electricity since i was the only one who would use it. every breaker in the house was shut down. i lived off of the apple tree in the back yard, the grapes in the back yard, the neighbor's plum tree i would pilfer in the night, the blackberries that were rampant--- and the kindness of a coffeehouse employee who would give me all of the day-old food. she was 6'2" and 125 lbs. she kept me alive while she looked like an albino african child that should have been spoon-fed paste. we dated. my roommates hated her, she hated them and probably me.... but we moved in to our own place anyway. a two bedroom place on the river in Shedd, OR. it was beautiful. i got a dog. we lived like that for about a year. she would cry a lot and only eat Doritos Cool Ranch Nachos. we decided to break up one day and we fucked one last time--- the phone rang all thru it but they kept hanging up on the answering machine. before either of us could finish, the message was finally left: Hi Honey. Sorry to tell you like this but your Grandfather just died. she moved in with her mother and still paid half of the rent on my pretty place by the river.
saw her two months ago at a poetry slam for the first time since then. she was two months out of her divorce and looked... old.
12. the above break-up began to go badly when she felt used on the rent. my sister stayed with me to pay for part of it. the X and i would yell at each other over the phone some nights... accusing one or the other of us of having something that didn't belong to them. when we met to trade things off i put one of my sister's bras in the box and when she saw it and said it wasn't hers i played it off as a, Oh, really? I don't know whose it is, then... she carved FUCK YOU!s into the CDs she returned. so i hit on a co-worker of hers that she was always jealous of. a BEAUTIFUL goth girl who had just broken up with her man--- and since i didn't have enough money to pay the part of the rent my X wasn't paying any longer, i moved in with her work-rival. she liked to be choked and she liked to be fake-raped and she liked to be cut and she liked to be beat. and i liked to pretend i didn't like doing all of those things as much as i did... she worked two jobs and i lounged around--- mostly in her clawfoot tub. would have dinner ready for her when she got home then we would fuck more. went on like that for months--- me being supported. until she one-day lost a job and we had to spend more time together... then we realized we hated each other. i moved in with one of my old roommates and she soon-after became a prostitute in PDX.
13. there really is no number thirteen. i became celibate for five years after that last one--- for several reasons.... one was because i kept trying to choke the women i was with as foreplay and not ALL of them (a good majority, but not all...) were into it. and some dumbass friend of mine said that if you are celibate for 7 years then you just forget about sex and, oh, imagine the work you could get done if you forgot about sex! he is a liar, for the record. and it wasn't that i didn't try to have relationships but... it was difficult with no sex. oral. lots of oral. but you can only finger and taste a woman for so long before she wants more...
14. my roommate couldn't pay rent and we both became homeless. this was about a year after the cut-me, beat-me, rape-me girl and i met a pretty lady about 31 in a class of mine... it was my last term of school and i was tired of living in the basement of the art dept--- showering at the rec center and only have a couple changes of clothes... and not enough money for wine. so this pretty blonde lady took me into her house--- because she collected weird beasts. she had a license to house dangerous reptiles and amphibians--- so she had a 10' boa that roamed the house and was friends with her dauchsund. every plant had some gecko or something ready to spring out of it onto you--- there was a tortoise in the back yard you could ride like a pony. she even had an entire room FILLED with poison dart frogs--- FUCKING FILLED. and every wall had an aquarium embedded in it. she was engaged to a man who was in prison. was on probation for assault charges but they got into a fight one night and she pulled a gun on him and shot--- missed, but broke their window and hit the neighbor's house. he pulled a gun and shot it up into the ceiling--- when the cops came, they determined he was at fault because he was on probation... so he was in jail as i fingered and tasted his fiance. but we never left the house. well, we went to class but we never went out and did anything... just fooled around a bit in that house smelling like the reptile tank of a zoo. so, one day, my sister came into town and we all went out for chinese food--- but my girlfriend freaked out. just talked to the fish. couldn't talk to the waiter--- i ordered for her but she just came over and poked at it for a bit before going back and carrying on a conversation with the coy--- they were talking back to her. my sister found it hilarious... repeating over and over, She's cute. Fucking crazy, but cute.

--. that's really about it. i'm sure there are a few i forgot and a dozen i omitted because they weren't worth talking about or were just a repeat of one or another before them. and that last one was... five years ago? there have been dates... one or two with hundreds of women in that time who are no more or less sane than the women i was with before. all of which i forget to call as they forget to call me. because dating is more than weird--- it is an exercise in futility.

**Editors' Note: This was originally posted by c.vance. Someone put a comment on c.vance's post that was not relevant and purely to promote his/her web site. We frown on solicitations at our front doors and our blogs. Don't do that shit.

2 comments:

dreashu said...

Wow.
More than we ever wanted to know about your love life...but well written as the bitterness and creepy resentment comes out more and more with each fucked up encounter. Well Done. But what about "girl steals all my lightbulbs" and "Gun posed next to typewriter"...they MUST be worth a spot in this!

Anyway. Good on ya. If I had tried to write one like that it would surely be longer than the blog allows.

Hehe. Always good reading Vance.... Always.

Peace

c.vance said...

yeah---
it was the abbreviated version. there are other stories but... since i'm not actively dating anyone for any longer than a night these days, what would i have to contribute later to this site?