If it’s been awhile since you've been dumped, ladies, here's a warning: A few things have changed, but others have stayed exactly, excruciatingly, the same. Here’s a short to-do list to get you started:
• Wipe away literal tears.
• Pull up metaphorical britches.
• Apologize for that text you shouldn’t have sent.
• Dust off your dating blogger pen.
• Change facebook relationship status from “In a relationship” to “single.” You can leave it blank for awhile, but why? Embrace it. You’re single.
• Update your Netflix queue. You don’t need to get his action movies, or the first season of Flight of the Conchords, which you’ve already seen but just rented so you could show him how awesome it is. Pick out every girly-ass movie you wanted to watch but had to bargain for. Been longing to finish watching Sex in the City? Fancy some cheesy musicals? Go for it.
• Get his shit out of your house. All of it. And don’t use the exchange of stuff as an excuse to “see how he’s doing.” He’s probably fine; or at least better than you are.
• Re-program your speed dial. It’s hard enough to avoid drunk-dialing. You don’t want to do it by an honest mistake.
• Send in a couple of the meanest things you want to say to dearoldlove.com. Don’t cc him on the email.
• Buy more wine.
• Find yourself a hot tub.
• Work out like mad.
• Rebound. Rebound early, rebound hard, rebound often. (With someone in his band, if you can pull it off, if not, someone who plays a different instrument will do).
What am I missing, dear readers? Or for the fells, what’s the same/different when it comes to your “dumpee” list?